Monday 9 July 2012

Wars of the Roses



We have been preparing for this year's demo/participation game at York Library and I have finally unboxed some Perry WoTR plastics to make up for a DbX type game, which was always the plan for them. I have also got the plastic mounted men at arms so they will be going with these too. They have painted up so good I might even get a few Perry metals to mix in based as singles for skirmishers/characters. I love painting armour, it's so easy! I have 'speed painted' these as I want to get them all done soon. The game will be in about 4 weeks so need to get a shift on and practice a simple game.

I have Neil Thomas' Ancient and Medieval wargaming, which is an excellent book if like me you only dabble in these periods. It has a few DbX style rules suggestions for various periods and gives brief explanations of the characteristics of the warfare of the times. As a starting point its great.

I have based the figs on 80mm x 30mm plasticard bases. The suggested base size for 25mm figures in DbA is 60mm x 20mm but I found this too small, they were hitting each other in the face with their weapons and looked all wrong, this base size seemed to work better and will fill up a table without using too many figures. I'm not sure how the mounted figures will work yet? They will need to be the same frontage so I may have two figs on a 40mm sqaure base and lump two bases togther for a unit.

Will update as and when I get more done. The main game is at York Library 11th August. 11:30am - 3:30pm so feel free to pop in.

UPDATE:

Just some pics of the first base of cavalry and some finished archers:






2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of packs of these guys myself. Great sculpts and great value for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought bought two more boxes as first one is nearly done. Need to get the Swiss for the additional weapon types. Incredibly well thought out sets these! No waste figures and a box pretty much makes up an army.

    Tempted by the perry ACW plastics now!

    ReplyDelete